The vision for our lives and our church comes from God. Like air that fills a balloon, God speaks to us through His Word and His Spirit and fills up our lives with vision and equips us to live for Him: “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
Yet, when we lose sight of that vision–even for a moment–we become like an untied balloon that moves wildly as the air escapes: “Without vision people run wild” (Proverbs 25:28).
As a church, God is filling us again with His vision for our community of faith. In this series of posts on #vision, we have remembered…
- WE COME EARLY AND SIT CLOSE – It’s about having expectant hearts.
- WE ARE INSPIRED BY EMPTY CHAIRS – It’s about reaching the unreached.
- WE PRAY UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS – It’s about seeking God.
Today, we are remembering…
WE ARE RADICALLY OBEDIENT
According to Jesus, blessing comes to those who hear His Word AND obey it (Luke 11:28). And echoing Jesus, James reminds us: “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says” (James 1:22).
Imagine what our lives would be like if we obeyed everything that God called us to do:
- To believe in Jesus and be saved (Acts 16:31)
- To go public with your faith by getting baptized (Acts 16:33)
- To forgive someone (Ephesians 4:32)
- To share the gospel with someone (Matthew 28:19-20)
- To confess and repent of a sin you’ve been holding onto (1 John 1:9)
- To return a portion of your finances back to God (1 Corinthians 16:2)
- To stop worrying and start praying (Philippians 4:6-7)
Of course, this list is just a sampling. God calls us to make steps of obedience on a daily basis. And when we obey, blessings await us.
So, what step of obedience is God calling for you to make?
Are you going to listen and obey?
Are you ready to live a life of radical obedience?
By His grace and through the power of the Holy Spirit, you can!